1. Fashion is a thirsty industry: it is the second largest consumer of water and, according to the World Bank, the cause of 20% of global water pollution. To blame are the industry’s aggressive use of chemical substances in every step of the value chain and the massive over-exploitation of water-thirsty cotton plants, which has a tremendous impact on our planet. The most notable? The desiccation of one of the largest lakes in the world, the Aral Sea, the waters of which were needed to sustain the growing demand for cotton-based, short-lived products.

2. Fashion is a dirty industry: 9 billion kg of chemicals are used by fashion each year to finish their products. These often highly toxic substances cause harm to the workers, to the wearers of the clothes and to the environment; cheap dyes are among the most dangerous.
2.000 different types of chemicals are used for textile processing like lead, mercury, etc…
25% of the world’s pesticides, and 11% of the insecticides ARE NEEDED to support regular cotton crops.

3. Only 15% of the clothes we discard is recycled. The remaining 85% is today trashed in landfills where they can expect to spend anything from 40-200 years, depending on their composition. Natural fabrics like cotton usually take 5 months to decompose, but synthetic ones like polyester need 200 years.
In the US alone 14 million tonnes of textiles are trashed each year. The world is literally covered in fashion waste. A reduction in fast consumption and a proper up cycling program would go a long way in this sense. Did you know that 1 ton of recycled clothing = 20 tonnes less of CO2 in the atmosphere?

4. Clothing consumption produces 1,5 tonnes of CO2 per household each year. That equals to driving 6000 cars. Unfortunately not only do we consume more and more clothing, treating them like disposable goods, everyday.. but today 90% of our clothes also contain oil-based fibers (like nylon or polyester) which have a scary carbon footprint as well. Just think that for every ton of polyester made, 5 tonnes of CO2 are emitted. Climate change is certainly real and unfortunately fashion plays a big role in it.

5. Around 40 million people are employed by the fashion industry, 85% of which are women. Most of the production happens in countries where the average wage for garment workers is as little as $30-32 / month and economic political conditions encourage a system which is highly damaging to the life of the workers and their families. A lack of traceability and accountability of production facilities leads to severe forms of modern day slavery in many steps of the fashion’s value chain, with basic human and labor rights being regularly violated. Child labor and illegal workforce is also still too often relied upon by manufacturers seeking for an always cheaper workforce to exploit.
We don’t want people to suffer for the clothes we choose to wear. Today all of our pieces are made in certified facilities in Italy and Scotland. And our synergic future sourcing plan has a specific purpose in mind: catalyzing positive change for garment workers around the world.